halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Dark Halo: Chronicles of Fright (part 02)
Posted By: Wado<wyamauchi@msn.com>
Date: 2 February 2003, 2:52 am


Read/Post Comments

Note: You do not need to read part 1 of this series to understand this part. Each part is a separate scary story.



Prologue to the Little Ship of Horrors



      The trip through slip space was a tedious task. Life as we had known it would never be the same. A sense of urgency accompanied all actions; every meal felt like it could be the last.

      So it happened in the brightly-lit mess hall, aboard the UNSC ship the Pillar of Autumn, that a group of marines met for a little relaxation and parley.

      "Hey Sarge, tell us a bad ass story, only this time make it a really scary one."

      "Look into my eyes, Jenkins," replied the Sarge. His eyes opened wide like two full moons in a sea of black.

      "Yo, come on Sarge, I bet Vicenti that you could scare us with one of your mucho loco stories," interjected Corporal Mendoza. "He doesn't think so."

      "So Vicenti doesn't get scared easy," said the Sarge. "Well speak up son, do you want to hear something really scary?"

      Private Vicenti met the Sarge's gaze with his own. "Yes Sarge, but I don't scare easy."

      The Sarge grinned and waited, taking a few puffs from an oversized cigar, then as if the Sarge was some kind of fortuneteller, he leaned forward saying, "Nothing to worry about, just a little turbulence... heh, heh, heh."

      The room shook and the lights flickered. The marines looked around in shock, but no alarms sounded. Their attention focused back at the Sarge.

      "This story starts in a far off place," began the Sarge. "I heard it from a dead alien that there's a group of those bug-eyed Covenant Grunts from a Province called Kraeoe. The same dead alien uttered his last words to me, he said Elites of House Rellius. So the story goes like this..."



The Little Ship of Horrors



      The young Muk-muk was an extraordinary Grunt from the Province of Kraeoe. He commanded the ship Twilight's Destiny, a small salvage vessel. Recently the ship and her crew had ventured into uncharted space.

      "Nog, do my eyes deceive me or have we hit the jackpot?" inquired Commander Muk-muk.

      "We have indeed Commander," replied Nog the Navigator, "and she is a beauty, looks to be one of our cruisers, command class. No communication signals either, scanning for signs of life."

      "No communication signals, then where did the distress signal come from?" asked Muk-muk.

      "It would appear that the distress signal emanated from this vessel, but as soon as we got within detailed scanner range, the signal stopped," explained Nog. "The ship has battle damage, I suppose it is possible that the surviving crew is aboard in stasis."

      "Sounds suspicious, what are the scans picking up?" said Muk-muk.

      "There's some interference but I think we got a good scan," said Nog. "There's no signs of life, but there is residual energy, perhaps active stasis chambers. Oh, and sir we have the data signature of the ship, it is identified as the Truth and Reconciliation."

      "Whee, this is going to be good, that ship is one of the Common Faith's finest vessels of war," said Muk-muk with a big smirk. "The queen mother is going to give us all accommodations for this. Let's get the grapples on her and head out of here."

      "Commander, the ship is too big for us to tow through slip space alone. Should I call for one of our sister ships? The Lolilu should be less than 72 hours away."

      "Seventy-two hours... hmm... our guest isn't going to like waiting that long," stated Muk-muk.

      "...But he is going to have to, a find like this is a once in a life time thing -- Correct commander?" interrupted Nog.

      Muk-muk gazed at the main holo viewer. The magnificence of the Truth and Reconciliation was breathtaking. "Exactly, my brother, make the call. In the mean time, let's get suited up and check her out. See what we can find."

      Nog turned to the crew of five, who had all gathered in the bridge to get a better look at the find. "You heard the Commander, get suited up, we're doing some exploring. Long live the Kraeoe!"

      "Long live the Kraeoe!" responded the crew. Shortly after saluting Nog and Muk-muk, they scurried off to prepare for the mission. However, as the crew passed out the bridge door, they swerved wide to make room for a tall and determined Elite.

      "Noble Elite on deck," cried Nog. Immediately, Commander Muk-muk turned to face the guest.

      Tall and donned in silver and blue, the Elite stood noble and proud. Wearing the spiny headdress characteristic of a mighty sword master from the great House of Rellius, he was the menacing legacy of the Imperial Elites.

      In a soft and penetrating voice, he looked at the main holo viewer saying, "What is the delay Commander?"

      "Oh great one, noble Subakai of House Rellius, on our journey to deliver you to your destination, we encountered a distress signal," spoke Commander Muk-muk, "and it is our sworn duty to look for survivors."

      "Or might it be that you have made the find of a life time?" said Subakai.

      "Oh great one," said Nog, "the Truth and Reconciliation could have survivors in stasis..." Just then Nog felt a nudge and then a kick in the shin from Muk-muk. "Wha...?"

      "The Truth and Reconciliation is it," responded Subakai. "In that case, my path has changed, we shall stay here and I will join you in your exploration of the vessel. Naturally, as the only noble Elite in this endeavor, I will receive the entire twenty-percent commission for my services."

      Muk-muk stared with fire in his eyes at Nog and Nog bowed his head to the ground. "Naturally, oh great one," said Muk-muk turning to the Elite.

      The Elite laughed, then as he turned to leave the bridge he looked at Muk-muk saying, "It is good to see that the Kraeoe still respect the natural order of things. The order of nature must be kept in balance. Do not forget, young Commander, that we are the predators, the top of that order."



      Moments go by and as the crew prepares to board the Truth and Reconciliation, Nog makes one final pass on the ship, just in case. The light from Twilight's Destiny lit a path down the cruiser. Although dead, the cruiser still looked like a creature born to travel the stars -- a great whale in an ocean of lights.

      However, even the great whales are host to barnacles. A strange moving film covers much of the surface of the ship. The film moves towards the light like moths in the night.

      "Commander, there appears to be some kind of organism covering the outer hull of the cruiser," observed Nog.

      "What is that stuff?" asked Muk-muk. "Maybe the outer shell's regeneration malfunctioned?"

      "That's possible, Commander," answered Nog. "The organism does seem to be covering a rather large hole in the ship close to where the main reactors would be. Still sir, I'm going to have to use the particle beams to clear a path to the docking ports."

      "Yes, do that."

      Beams of plasma fired on the strange organism that engulfed the Truth and Reconciliation. The organism faded away through cracks on the ship before the beams could hit it, as if it could anticipate the pain of the heated particles burning it.

      With the path cleared, Twilight's Destiny docked to the cruiser. A loud clank was heard throughout the ship.

      "I know what you're thinking Nog," said Muk-muk. "Don't go aboard that ship, there's a monster in there. Well Nog, we wouldn't be Kraeoe if we couldn't handle the job. I've seen worse -- been in the salvage business since before you were a little egg."

      "Well the thought did cross my mind, Commander."

      "No worries, we'll bring some heavy barrels with us."



      Nog stayed aboard the salvage ship, the rest, six Grunts and the Elite readied to board the cruiser. "Sound off," said Muk-muk.

      "Arnie here, mechanic -- armor, tools and fuel-rod cannon loaded and ready."

      "Ilius present, communications -- armor, equipment and particle beam weapon ready."

      "Natasha, appraiser -- armor, equipment and particle beam weapon ready."

      "My name is Jak, uhm, apprentice -- armor, supplies and plasma pistol ready.

      "Dun-duk, healer -- armor, medicine and needler rifle ready."

      "Hmm... Elites don't sound off. I am known to many as the noble Subakai of House Rellius, I am ready."

      "Muk-muk, commander -- armor and Forerunner cutter beam, plasma web caster ready. Now let's get a move on."



      The doors opened and all that could be seen was darkness. A fog of long silver strings, like tinsel, floated in the weightlessness, obscuring the lights. Illius quickly scanned the corridor saying, "The silver strings not just obscure our vision but they also interfere with scans. I'd say I can only get a good scan about 20 meters and we can see maybe half of that."

      "Commander," said Dun-duk the healer. "These silver strings are emitting radiation at level 3, our environmental suits are rated to protect us against this type of radiation so my only concern is if the levels increase past level 7."

      Muk-muk took a cautious step forward into the corridor, his boots clinging to the ground like a magnet to metal. "My gosh, we haven't even taken three steps into this ship and already I'm thinking it is a bad idea. All for turning back and waiting for reinforcements, say whee."

      "Hold on Commander," said Subakai. "Do you really think it is going to let you leave so easily? There is only one way to deal with such demons, cut their heart out and burn the rest. We must find it and destroy it before it can get us."

      "Well, great one, I say it is going to have to catch us first, whatever IT is," replied Muk-muk. "Now everyone back aboard our ship."

      "Whee," exclaimed all the Grunts, but before they could turn their cowardly tails around and back to the ship, an incoming transmission blared on the comm.

      "[static]...Co..[static]...losing power...[static]...ship surrounded...[static]...Nog, I repeat..."

      At that moment shadows the size of Elites could be seen moving through the fog from down the corridor. Thump! "Incoming fire, take cover," shouted Subakai.

      The crew took cover along the walls and returned fire. Between the two particle beams and the Forerunner cutter beam weapons, the shadows where quickly severed into many pieces and burned by the intense heat. The fuel-rod cannon followed suit and blasted a hole through all that remained.

      "Jak is down," cried Dun-duk.

      "I got him," said Arnie as he moved to pick up Jak. Drops of blood floated from Jak's open wounds before his suit self-sealed. Blood also gushed out of a hole in Arnie's suit.

      As everyone retreated back into Twilight's Destiny, Subakai stayed, fingering the pummel of his energy sword before deciding to take out a strange barreled weapon.

      "Aren't you coming great one," said Muk-muk.

      "No, my duty is to destroy this demon," replied Subakai. "You best plan on doing the same, there is no escape."

      "No we are getting out of here," said Muk-muk. "Will you not come with us?"

      "You aren't going anywhere, haven't you figured that out yet?" stated Subakai.

      "I put my trust in my ship and crew, great one."

      "Alright, do what you must, just stay out of my way." The mighty Subakai stalked away towards the unknown. "And don't forget to burn the dead."

      "Yes great one, and good luck," said Muk-muk as he manually pulled the docking door closed, leaving the Elite all by himself in the corridor.

      As Muk-muk pulled the last few centimeters of the door closed he overheard Subakai say, "How did I let it come to this, I should have seen the signs, I should have known better. Damn those Prophets, they just couldn't wait, could they. Now only one duty prevails me."

      Muk-muk slammed the door tight and sealed it. He muttered to himself, "Burn the dead? The great one has lost his senses."



      Inside Twilight's Destiny, Dun-duk tended to the wounded Jak under dim lights. Jak is still unconscious and losing blood fast. In the background, Arnie applies some medicine to himself and covers it with a loose bandage while applying pressure directly to the wound.

      "Nog, what happened, why are we on emergency power?" Muk-muk said to Nog who had just come down from the bridge.

      "Commander, that thing surrounded the ship, I did what I could," cried Nog. "It came too fast, weapons, communications, nothing external is responding to commands. It drained the ship's energy. Oh, gosh, is everyone okay?"

      "Something fired on us, and Jak was hit. Alright, you and Arnie figure out a way to get us some power and weapons," said Muk-muk, "and I'll work on getting that thing off of my ship."

      Thump! Thump! Squeeeeeeeeeeech! The noise echoed through the ship. "What the..." muttered Muk-muk.

      "Ahhh! Something's trying to get in!" someone shouted.

      Muk-muk headed back to the docking passage. The sounds continued. The closer he got to the passage, the louder the noise got. It was only a few strides away, but his heart beat quickly and he was out of breath by the time he got there. A cold sweat covered him and he shivered as if a sudden chill had come over him.

      "Commander, someone has come knocking at our door," said Arnie with fuel-rod cannon in hand. "Should we say hello?"

      "Maybe it's Subakai," said Natasha. "We should at least see if it is him."

      "The noble Subakai is dead," stated Muk-muk in a solemn voice. "No one opens that door, do you hear me, no one."

      Everyone who could nodded yes except for Nog. "But Commander..." said Nog. At that moment the pounding stopped.

      "You were saying Nog?" asked Muk-muk.

      "Nothing sir, I misunderstood."



      Several minutes passed in silence. Nog and Arnie worked to isolate the cause of the power drain and bypass it. Arnie stopped a few brief times to check his wound, which he still felt burning under the medicine and bandages.

      Muk-muk worked with Ilius on something; he had an idea. Once power was restored, they would overload the shields and cause the ship hull to superheat; this should get rid of the creature attached to the ship. Ilius wasn't much help though; she kept looking down the corridor to the docking passage with anticipation in her eyes. She was scared, scared out of her wits.

      Thump! Thump! Squeeeeeeeeeeech! The noise started up again. The docking door bulged and shook.

      Ilius ran towards the far end of the ship, screaming, "Noooo! Not again! Aaaaaah!"

      Muk-muk and Nog headed to the docking passageway with weapons in hand. "Bring it on you infidels, I've got some hot Forerunner plasma for you," shouted Muk-muk.

      The thumping lasted another ten minutes, the door shook, bulged, rattled, rang, but it never was breached. Then the silence came again.

      "Nog, have Arnie keep working, see if you can't find a way to reinforce this bulkhead, I'm going to find Ilius."

      "Yes Commander."



      Muk-muk found Ilius in the supply room. She was curled up in a fetal position with a pile of grenades next to her. In her hands she grasped a plasma pistol so tightly that her hands had turned pale. "Leave me alone," she shouted.

      "Ilius, this is your Commander talking to you," said Muk-muk, trying not to make any sudden moves that might freak Ilius out even more. "Listen, the door held and Nog is finding a way to reinforce it. Everything is going to be okay, all we have to do is hold out a while until help comes. The Lolilu is on her way; you know that's Tar-suk's ship. He'll blast us free in no time, has he ever let us down? Have I ever let us down?"

      "Well no sir," whispered Ilius.

      "Ilius, we really could use your expertise at a time like this," said Muk-muk. "Well what will it be Kraeoe?"

      "I'll think about it Commander." Ilius had the sound of relief in her voice.

      From down the corridor the voice of Dun-duk is heard, "Commander, I need you now. It can't wait."

      "Ilius, you think about it, I've got to see what Dun-duk needs," said Muk-muk as he headed to Dun-duk's healing room. Muk-muk passed Arnie in the hall, "Hey, Ilius is in there, don't upset her."

      Arnie kept walking without even looking at Muk-muk. "Yes, just got to get some more cables," he said in passing.

      Muk-muk didn't have time to chat anyway; he headed to Dun-duk. "What is it Dun-duk?"

      Jak moaned from a table, foam poured out his mouth, there was no need for a rebreather in here. I struck Muk-muk strangely that heavy straps held Jak in place.

      "Commander, look at these scans," said Dun-duk. "There is an infection in Jak. See how the infection has genetically altered his body, it has spread quickly and soon will completely consume him."

      "Why didn't this infection set off alerts in the docking passageway?" asked Muk-muk.

      "It's not airborne and somehow it can partially cloak itself," replied Dun-duk, "and I don't have a cure for it either. Jak's body is being consumed from within, his brain died three minutes ago."

      "What? Jak is dead," whispered Muk-muk.

      "Yes, he is dead, but his body lives until the infection is finished consuming it. The infection needs food, I suppose it will simply starve itself to death." Dun-duk then turned to Muk-muk, "oh my, Jak wasn't the only one injured."

      "Arnie!" shouted Muk-muk.



      Arnie was found in the supply room, or at least what used to be Arnie. Next to him, Ilius' headless body lay in a pool of blue blood.

      Before the eyes of Muk-muk and Dun-duk, the Arnie creature stuffed the left leg of Ilius into his stomach. His stomach had transformed into a mouth with razor sharp spikes for teeth. The sight was hideous. Muk-muk turned away, his stomach felt queasy and the taste of vomit was in his throat.

      Dun-duk fired three quick shots from a plasma pistol into the Arnie creature. The creature screamed and melted partially into something else. It then slithered away through a vent and with a sucking sound it said, "I'll be back."

      Thump! Thump! Squeeeeeeeeeeech! The noise started up again.



      "Doodoo!" shouted Dun-duk. "It's in the ventilation system."

      Muk-muk looked at the vent, beside it laid Arnie's armor and clothes. The creature had literally jumped out of them and through the grating of the vent. "How in damnation?"

      "His bones and flesh liquefied," gasped Dun-duk. "Oh gosh, Commander... if he can do that then..."

      "Jak!" shouted Muk-muk. They ran back down the corridor. The door to the healing room was wide open. On the table were left Jak's clothes, still held by the straps. Jak, or what Jak had turned into, was gone.

      "Nog! Natasha! Everyone come here!" shouted Muk-muk. In the background the thumping noise continued.

      Nog was already there, weapon in hand. Natasha did not answer.

      "Commander, what was that thing?" asked Nog.

      "Some kind of creature, and it can move through the vents. Where's Natasha?"

      "She went to the bridge," replied Nog.

      The three headed to the bridge to regroup, but when they got there, the door was locked. "What the... Natasha, open this door," shouted Muk-muk, but the door did not open.

      The thumping noise stopped once more. In the silence the three looked down the corridor in anticipation.

      "Commander, give me a few minutes to override the door controls," whispered Nog. "Subaki was wrong, by the way, we are not the top of the natural order, we are not the predators."

      "He was right in more ways than wrong, Nog," whispered Muk-muk, "and I think he knew what was coming. He was right, there is no escape, we have to kill it before it gets us."

      "How do we do that Commander?" asked Dun-duk.

      "First we get a stack of fuel rods and blow up the connecting corridor between our docking passage and the Truth and Reconciliation. That will separate us, then we deal with the creatures in the vents."

      "Commander, someone is going to have to open the bulkhead to the connecting corridor, go in there and plant those charges," said Nog, "and when we open that bulkhead, who knows what is going to come through from the other side."

      "That's right," said Dun-duk. "Commander, why not take out the creatures in our ship first?"

      "Tactically that would make sense," replied Muk-muk, "but we aren't dealing with an animal here. It hasn't come through the bulkhead because it knew that it had already infiltrated us on the inside -- it had already infected Jak and Arnie. If we destroy the creatures in this ship, there will be nothing to keep it from blasting through that bulkhead."

      "You mean it is just toying with us?" said Nog.

      "Yes he is saying that Nog," said Dun-duk. "I've seen the scans of the infection, its virulent behavior shrouds its intelligence. Commander, what about our life pods?"

      Nog and Muk-muk looked at each other, then Muk-muk turned to Dun-duk saying, "there's only room for one, but you knew that already. Twilight's Destiny was built during the last Great War; back then only the high commander was allowed escape from battle. All hands fought to the end."

      "Yes, pas tarus oplicious," stated Dun-duk. "Never give up, no surrender, no retreat."

      "Besides," said Nog. "It doesn't work either, years ago we had to scrap it for spare parts."

      Dun-duk exhaled as if waiting to say something. "What I meant, Commander, is that we could use the escape pod air lock to exit the ship, the creatures might not expect that. We could then use the particle beams to clear a path to the connective passageway..."

      "Right, then we plant the charges on the outside of the tube," said Nog. "But one of us will need to guard the way back into the ship or else we will be stuck out there."

      "Sounds like a plan, Nog any luck with this bridge door?" said Muk-muk.

      "No, darn Natasha has it locked down tighter than a weeble plug. Who would have thought I'd see the day when a Kraeoe turns on her own kind."

      "Not that it matters, but she is only part Kraeoe, she's mostly Gundarian," said Dun-duk. "As a healer, I know these things."

      "Gundarian! No wonder I can't get this door open, those Gundarian cyborgs will be the end of us, I tell you."

      "That's enough Nog, we will need to get in the bridge later, but for now we have a plan, let's do it," Muk-muk said sternly.



      The group went back to the supply room and picked up the fuel rods and grenades they will need. Ilius' body was completely gone, probably eaten by the creatures. The place was a mess too.

      The only noise heard was the steady breathing of the three through their rebreathers. The methane-based atmosphere they naturally breathed was much too volatile to have spread out throughout the ship.

      "Commander," whispered Nog. "I think I know how to get rid of the creatures in the vents." He covertly pointed to the methane tanks in the supply room. "Just saturate the ship, vents and all and kaboomee. We will need the override controls in the bridge to do it though."

      "Yes, perhaps," replied Muk-muk.

      "Ah, but you already knew this, that's why you said we would need to get through the bridge door later," muttered Nog. "Why didn't you say so?"

      "Stay focused on the task before us Nog, no sense tipping our hand before it is time."

      "Gotcha."

      But perhaps their plan had already been revealed. A sucking noise was heard in the vents as if something had been nearby listening.

      Muk-muk could do nothing about it. The group proceeded to the life pod air lock and out of the ship. Dun-duk stayed inside to guard the door while Nog used a particle beam weapon to clear the way for Muk-muk.

      The organism that had engulfed the ship, moved away to avoid the beams but quickly advanced from other directions. More than a few times, Nog was forced to spin around and fire blindly in a sweeping motion to keep the creature at bay.

      "Watch where you're shooting Nog," cried Muk-muk over the comm. "These aren't hot biscuits I'm carrying here." Muk-muk then laid the fuel rods around the connective tube. They were all attached to a cable and plasma grenades were intermixed as detonators. Extra stacks were placed on the three main support columns.

      The organism resisted ferociously, but Muk-muk used his Forerunner cutter beam to burn the organism and clear the way while juggling the explosive charges in his other hand.

      "All set, 30 seconds ought to give us enough time," said Muk-muk, but as he moved to get away, the organism attacked back with lightening speed. Muk-muk jumped up and away from the ship. All the while firing to keep the thing at bay.

      Nog was overwhelmed; the thing was on him. "Aaaargh, it's eating through my armor. Can't let it get in the ship." Nog kicked the airlock door closed.

      "Nog," cried Muk-muk. As Muk-muk floated away in the void of space, he looked back at his Kraeoe brother. The figure of Nog stood still as a statue, no doubt that was just a shell of what was left of him; the organism had already consumed his insides.

      Then a bright flash exploded from the docking tunnel. The fuel rods had detonated.

      Twilight's Destiny was free and the explosion had started a chain reaction on the strange organism that engulfed the ship, burning it away. Soon main power was restored to the ship.



      Inside Twilight's Destiny, Dun-duk squinted as the lights flashed brightly. Then an even brighter light flashed and she was no more.

      Muk-muk could see from afa





bungie.org