halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Earth: A Halo Tale: Part 3: Chapters 5 & 6
Posted By: Nike<jimmyneedles09@aol.com>
Date: 1 February 2003, 1:23 am


Read/Post Comments

0400 Hours November 21, 2554 [Military Calendar]/
Destination Unknown, Location Unknown


The sun gleamed in the blue, cloudless sky. Underbrush and old logs were strewn about the ground. An ancient oak tree sat in the middle of this open, forest plain.

A Covenant patrol walked towards the oak tree. The patrol was composed off a single blue Elite Sniper (indicated by it's lighter body armor and weapon), four Jackals (two minor, two major), and 4 Grunts (all minor).

The Elite Sniper swept it's X-2 Crossbow across the field, scanning for potential threats, the Jackals were covering the left and right flanks, and the Grunts walked, cautious and scared.

The latest Covenant weapon, the X-2 Crossbow, was an outstanding sniper rifle, deadly close-quarters weapon, and a mini-grenade launcher in terms of reliability, rate of fire, and power. There were two different fire modes: Close-Quarters and Sniper mode.

At long range, the crossbow had a maximum range of 20x. The rounds were made of carbine plasma, depleted uranium, and platinum. It's equipped with a built-in silencer; so muzzle flashes and loudness are obsolete. It had four different modes: regular, night-vision, thermal, and x-ray.

The X-2 has three different ammo types: regular, incendiary, and grenade. The more potent rounds are obviously grenade rounds. At a distance, these rounds are extremely dangerous and accurate. Not only are they silent, but they have the ability to destroy entire companies of Marines at full strength, a battalion if you count four Marine companies. Whenever possible, Marine and Spartan snipers were now ordered to recover an X-2 at all costs.

Close-Quarters mode is just as the name implies. This is mode works like a shotgun and has the firing rate of an AR. If close enough, a round to the stomach literally mutilates the insides of someone and if the shot is to the head, the target's head is disintegrated upon impact. The X-2 is truly a remarkable piece of weaponry.

Then a shot rang out. A Jackal Major fell to the ground, leaving a half-dollar sized hole in its chest cavity. Purple blood trickled out and onto the lush, green grass.

The Elite perked up and pointed to a bush where it suspected the enemy was hidden. It fired a bolt of plasma at the bush. It disintegrated into ash. A Marine had been hidden behind the brush, its charred head lying on the ground next to it. Wires and gears were hanging from it and the Marine Robot's neck.

"Halt test!" a voice boomed over the intercom.

Chapter 6

0404 Hours November 17, 2554 [Military Calendar]/
Weapon and Training Facility, UNSC HQ, Washington D.C.


Lights flickered on to reveal more of a training area. The background scenery was actually just a paper backboard and it was rather spartan in appearance.

"That, Master Chief, is the awesome power of the X-2 Crossbow," Mendez said. "A neat little weapon, don't you think? Unfortunately, this is the only one we've managed to recover and from the scans we got from it, it's just a mere prototype. However, once we collect more and we find out if they're the final products, the brass will mass-produce them. If the results in being trained in the use of this crossbow are good when all Marine snipers have been trained in its use, this gun may well replace the S2 AM and make it obsolete. If those results in a live combat situation are as good as the training ones, the X-2 may even replace the MA5B as the standard-issue rifle. Until we collect more data on this weapon, though, the MA5B is still the current weapon."
"I must say, sir, that this is a pretty powerful weapon. You say it's a Covenant one?" the Master Chief inquired.
"Well. . ." The lieutenant trailed off.
"What is it, sir? I don't mind."
"Well, from one of our scans, the scan indicated that it in fact it had been used by the Covenant, but they didn't manufacture it. Someone else made it."
"And who made it?" John asked.
"Obviously, they got it from another colony world. So the Covenant had bought the weapon, along with many others, from another colony. The people who made this weapon, however, may come as a surprise to you. The manufacturer is the Forerunner.

TO BE CONTINUED

A/N: I know this was an incredibly short part, but I felt like I needed to stop here, so as to get your minds thinking. As usual, advice, motivation, and feedback are welcome. Flaming is not welcome, however. All flamers are to report to Gate 2 for you're trip to COG Land. Have a nice day. (Sorry about that. My ego took over again. lol). Earth: A Halo Tale: Part 4 coming soon. I promise that there will be action. I just need to explain the boring details (boring to some, but not all) and then we get to the action. Stay tuned. (That was longer then I thought it would be. lol).





bungie.org